Sunday, March 9, 2008

Wind of Change

What can I say that's not already said of the General Election? Simply amazing. The Rakyat has truly spoken loud and clear, unmistakeably that we want change. I'm especially excited since it's my very first time voting and what better induction into this democratic decision process than to see such a turn of events and to know I was part of it, is just "da Bomb"

Despite the seemingly unlimited campaigning budgets and air time on the mainstream communications channels like television and radio, the ruling party performed disastrously against the opposition who had only "the cheap" alternatives like blogging, SMS, Internet..etc, I guess it was the content and not the channel.

I started with watching RTM1 for the latest results on the poll, but was quite disappointed that the results seems to be slow and the topics of discussions uninteresting. Then I got an SMS that Malaysiakini was publishing live reports and I jumped up to my PC and got onto the Internet and was surprised to find out that lots more are happening than what RTM would have us believe, reports were streaming in rapidly, what a contrast to what was being broad casted on RTM1, isn't it obvious that it will be known in due time anyways, what's the point in the delay? (I guess that's why our information minister lost)

It was entertaining though to see some rather senior figures losing their cool on national TV. At one point, one of the guest seemed to have been veering towards some very uncomplimentary remarks about the BN when the channel mysteriously went blank, only to come back on few minutes later without this guest, I guess he very quickly got uninvited..

I believe that the journey has only just began and there are lots of work to be done by the winning parties to now make good of their promises and truly make the changes that will turn our beloved country around, to put aside the differences and move forward.

For those that have left or has plans of leaving Malaysia for perceived greener pastures (I think that they will find that there are problems everywhere, not just in Malaysia), I really hope that this will serve as an eye opener that there is hope yet for our Malaysia and to stay and get involved and contribute to our nation.

God Bless and good night.

1 comment:

hipodamus 喜宝大姆 said...

this is time we can change malaysia to a better country! Let's do it!